Description Of Headaches
There are over 300 headaches classified by the international headache society. Many of these headaches, such as migraines, tension headaches and cervicogenic headaches etc have very similar symptoms.
Physiotherapy can help to treat some headaches, where the pain is in the head or face referred from joints or soft tissue structures in the neck.
We can also treat migraines with the use of acupuncture at Abbey Physiotherapy.
Common Symptoms of Headaches
- Dull or sharp pain in the head or upper neck region
- Radiates to the temples, eyes or eyebrows
- Tenderness at the base of the head
- Pain that worsens as the day goes on or with neck movements
- Nausea or sensitivity to light
Causes Of Headaches
- Poor posture
- Whiplash injury
- Stress often leading to muscle tension in the neck
- Degenerative conditions in the neck such as osteoarthritis
- Repetitive or sustained activities leading to imbalance of tight and weak muscles
e.g. carrying heavy bags on one side or holding a phone to your ear with your shoulder
Treatment Of Headaches
It is important to identify the causes of pain in order to treat effectively and prevent re-occurrence. At Abbey Physiotherapy we will discuss possible reasons for your discomfort.
We will also treat cervicogenic headaches with:
- Local soft tissue release and joint mobilisations to the tight regions
- Postural re-education
- Ergonomic advice
- Tape to of load over worked muscles